JPay which is a prison contractor, has helped bring prison communications into the 21st century. The company released a tablet for the prison population named the JP5mini that allows the inmates to send an email, e-cards and video grams to their family and friends.
The JPay tablets offer the inmates to educate themselves, entertain themselves, and also maintain communication with dear ones so they are able to develop their skills and relationships. Based on the research, there are around 60,000 tablets which are in use in 11 states. JPay says that the JP5mini has been adopted by facilities in Idaho and New Jersey. The revamped tablet is superior in terms of speed, graphics, and computing power. Also, it has four times the storage capacity at 32 gigabytes.
The Cost of the JPay Tablet
The inmates are able to buy the $69.99 tablet from a kiosk in their facility, or someone can buy it for them. To communicate with the inmates, people are able to access JPay’s web platform or get the free JPay app on Android or iPhone. The inmates have to buy 40 cent stamps each time to email or send video messages.
Troy Schulz said that he could not put a price tag. In the past they had cassette players and CD players. JPay started as an electronic payment service for the inmates. Then, the business provided correction facilities with kiosks with access to music, messaging and books.
JPay allows facilities to make their own stringent guidelines to filter messages. Now, Schulz’s facility marks about 8,000 words such as escape, gang names and more. Also, they are able to identify certain inmates by the level of threat their custody levels poses. All their messages that have high risk screened manually. Also, devices come electronically tagged with the inmates’ information so the inmates cannot abandon them after misuse. Having a tablet does not mean the inmates are on Facebook and Twitter. The device is equipped with a secure boot loader on an Android operating system, so no other operating system can be installed and the inmates cannot manipulate the platform.
JPay Tablets Features and Benefits
JPay offers flexible tablet choices to help incarcerated individuals stay connected with you, while giving access to education and betterment courses to prepare them for success after incarceration. Need to know that JPay provides three tablet models with universal features.
Here are universal features and benefits of JPay tablet:
- Place a phone call.
- Send and receive emails, VideoGrams and eCards.
- Advance their education with course material and podcasts.
- Access and purchase music and rent movies.
- Read daily news
- It is very easy to use.
- It is touch screen and portable.
- It is available as an eBook reader.
- There is a new music app that includes the ability to build playlists.
- It includes accessories like screen protector, earbuds, charger and batteries.
- It includes a photo gallery, calculator, notepad, FM radio, stopwatch and calendar apps.
- JPay’s Lantern education and Khan Academy apps.
- It expanded the game selection and game store.
The services and features available to inmates is delivered through one of the three tablet models: JP6S, JP5S and JP5S tablets. Well, in the text below, we are going to talk a little bit about information related to JP6S, JP5S and JP5S tablets.
Apparently, the JP6S tablet has greater performance through faster processors for an increased user experience and also a stronger battery for extended battery life.
The JP6S tablet comes with:
- 7″ Touchscreen
- Better resolution
- Thinner hardware
- for easy handling
- 3X battery life, 500 cycle
- 32GB storage
The JP5S tablet comes with:
- 7″ Touchscreen
- 32GB storage
- Battery life of up to 35 hours
The JP5S mini comes with:
- 4.3″ Touchscreen
- 16GB storage
- Dual-core processor
Tablet models are able to include accessories like earbuds and screen protectors (available only in a few states). Available tablet models and application services may vary by state or agency. Please log into your JPay account to see which tablet models are available to your loved one.
Do the JPay Tablet wireless?
Of course, JPay tablets are WiFi-capable. However, currently this function is inactive. Wi-Fi will be activated once approved by your loved one’s agency. For now, instant messaging is not available on the JP5s or JP5mini. Of course, JPay tablets have different sizes and features. As we know that the JP6S tablet has greater performance than others. JP5s tablet has a 7 inch display screen, 32 GB storage and offers a battery life of up to 35 hours of music playback or 12 hours for video playback. The JP5S mini tablet has a 4.3-inch display, 16GB of internal storage, and a dual-core processor. This JP5S mini tablet for inmates is compact and easy to carry. These tablets are made of clear plastic.
How to get a tablet for your loved one?
- At the first step, you have to login or make a JPay account to buy a tablet. If the JP6S is not available for purchase, but is available to your loved one to purchase, you are able to fund their Media account to provide funds they are able to use to buy the new tablet.
- Then, JPay prepares and ships the tablet to the agency. After receiving it, the agency will deliver it to your loved one in prison.
A JPay Media Account or JPay Credits is an account managed by your loved one. From this account, your loved one can buy:
- A Tablet
- movies (rent)
- Songs and music albums
How to fund a Media Account?
- At the first step, you have to login or make a JPay account.
- Then, you are able to call 800-574-5729 to speak with a customer service representative.
- The last step, payments or Money Transfers sent to the agency for funds to be available next day or sooner.